Florida child support is often a contentious subject between ex-spouses. In some cases, the non-custodial parent will stop paying child support. If this happens, you have options.

In a video that recently went viral, a Virginia father demonstrates how resentful parents can get in the fight over child support. The reason the video went viral? It shows the father making his final payment to his ex-wife by dumping 80,000 pennies in front of her house.

While the mother and daughter turned something petty into a feel-good story by donating the payment (and inspiring others to donate) to Safe Harbor Shelter in Richmond, which serves survivors of domestic abuse, it also demonstrates how often emotions are at play for ex-spouses.

Sometimes those emotions cause the non-custodial parent to stop paying child support altogether. Many divorced parents in Florida wonder what happens if their ex-spouse stops paying court-ordered child support.

Here are a few things you can do to enforce your child support.

What happens when the non-custodial parent stops paying Florida child support?

Penalties for Failure to Pay

Even in simple, amicable divorces, the relationship between parents can turn sour. The non-custodial parent may feel resentment for the amount of support they have been ordered to pay. They may feel that they should not have to pay child support at all. When this resentment grows, they may decide to stop making payments

In Florida, divorced parents have many avenues of recourse to force child support payments. When your child’s other parent fails to make court-ordered payments, you can file what is known as a civil contempt proceeding against them. If the court finds them in contempt, it can result in many different penalties, including:

  • Fines
  • Suspension of government-issued documents, such as driver’s license and passport
  • Suspension of professional licenses
  • Seizure of tax refunds
  • Seizure of bank accounts
  • Seizure of lottery winnings over $600
  • Placement of liens on assets
  • Reporting the failure to pay to credit agencies
  • Jail time of up to a year.

The court may also levy other penalties against the non-paying parent. If found in contempt, the court may also hold them responsible for your court, attorney fees, and other expenses related to the case.

Income Withholding Order

One of the best ways to ensure that you receive the child support your ex-spouse owes is to ask the court to enter an income withholding order. When the court enters an income withholding order, the child support is deducted directly from your ex-spouse’s paycheck.

As you can see, you do not have to stand for your ex’s failure to pay their court-ordered child support. You have options to force your child’s other parent to meet their obligations as a parent.

Not receiving your Florida child support? You have options.

If your ex-spouse has stopped making their court-ordered child support payments, you need to get in touch with me so we can put a plan in motion. I am here to help you get the money that you need to support your child.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share